Total Pageviews

Monday, March 6, 2017

Worry: What the Bible tells us about worry

Worry
What the Bible tells us about worry

Have you had times where you have more bills then resources? Have you had a time where you have had the uncertainty what was going to happen next? Have you ever wondered – what could be laying right around the corner?



I have.

Worry is defined by dictionary.com as: to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts; fret.

We all do it. We all wonder if we will have enough money to get through the month.

1 month ago I lost my full time job. I had worked for the company for almost 3 years. It was a comfortable, easy job that I was used to performing. God had revealed that something was about to happen and it led me to start exploring other areas. But when I was let go there was a 20 minute crying and yelling session. I had never been let go from a job before. How was I going to be able to provide for our family? How were we going to afford our bills? It was bad.
But then, a still small voice said: “I have you.”

If I would not have been let go from that job – I would have probably stayed there for a very long time. I know that God will bring us out of our comfort zone to do HIS work. This was one of those times.

Later that day while I was praying, I called out to God. “Lord, I know that you never leave us or forsake us. I am just having trouble seeing what is in front of me. I know that all things are used for your purpose” Then the tears.
Then there was that still small voice again. “Connie, my precious daughter. Philippians 4:19”

I  grabbed by Bible and flipped there:

Philippians 4:19 (NLT)
19 And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.
I also liked this translation too

Philippians 4:19 (NKJV)

19 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Then I felt an overwhelming sense of peace. God has us. He had our backs. He knew what our needs were and how things were already going to turn out.
When I shared this with my wonderful husband he looked at me and said “I don’t know why you are worrying about this He always makes sure things are paid”


I recently was hired as a substitute teacher in two local school districts. I was not sure if this was the path that God wanted me to take – and I prayed. It was supposed to take 3 weeks for me to get my substitute teaching license. It took 3 days. I knew that was a sign that I was right where I needed to be.

Our 5 year old son had to have surgery to have his tonsils out recently. Not working allowed me to be able to take care of him. Had I still been working the other position – I would not have been able to take the time off. God is faithful. He works it all out. In his timing.

Life is chaotic with 3 kids still at home. We always seem to be running different directions.
This morning during my quiet time I read Luke 12. I like to read it myself, then have my bible app read it to me and I follow along, then I unpack it using a life application bible. This chapter spoke volumes to me. 

Starting in verse 22:
“Then, turning to his disciples, Jesus said, “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food to eat or enough clothes to wear. 23 For life is more than food, and your body more than clothing. 24 Look at the ravens. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than any birds! 25 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? 26 And if worry can’t accomplish a little thing like that, what’s the use of worrying over bigger things?
27 “Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 28 And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?
29 “And don’t be concerned about what to eat and what to drink. Don’t worry about such things. 30 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs. 31 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need.
32 “So don’t be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom.


This is a lot of information in a few short paragraphs.

I love where he tells us: Worry does not add a single moment to our lives.
Look at how beautiful the lillies and other flowers are. God made them so beautiful. He helps to water them so they can grow. We are FAR more important to God then the flowers.
It actually robs us of those moments. I know that my time on earth I want to live for Jesus, and let HIS light shine so that when I stand before him he tells me “Well done good and faithful servant”
God did not give us a spirit of worry or anxiousness. That comes from the enemy. He wants us to worry, dwell and forget what God’s promises are.
Jesus commands us NOT to worry. Easier said than done right?
FAITH can free us from the anxiousness and the worrying. TRUSTING God completely.


Think about wading out into an ocean.  You slowly go in touching the water with your toes first, then you go in up to your ankles, then your waist, then deeper.
Faith is like when you lay back and float. This is how I picture it. Laying there floating looking up at the sky and trusting that everything will be ok.
Faith in Jesus will help us be able to not swell on everything that can go wrong.
Our Heavenly Father knows what our needs are. He promises to meet all our NEEDS. This does not always mean our desires.

Psalm 62:8 tells us:

O my people, trust in him at all times.
    Pour out your heart to him,
    for God is our refuge. 

God is our refuge and he is our strength. He is ALWAYS there. He never leaves us. He never forsakes us. He is our shelter. He is our provider.

Let’s pray:
Lord, thank you so much for another day. I thank you for loving us. Thank you for always being there for us. Lord I know that you do not give us a spirit of worry or anxiousness but one of peace. You tell us in your word Peace is what I leave you. I know that the world and it’s ways leaves us confused, broken, bound up and anxious. Let your peace shine through us. Let us not worry about what will happen tomorrow. Let us concentrate on the blessings and what you have in store for us. Please help to guide my path and to do your will for my life. It’s in your HOLY name I pray.
Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment